Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Memories in Music

So I know I just posted, but we'll consider this to be making up for not posting for over a month before that. This is actually a topic that just came to me on the fly and really had me thinking tonight. Especially since the mission, music has been a fairly big thing in my life. Even before my mission I could feel the draw that music has, melding with and extending emotion. It's been particularly important in my time writing, at times bringing with it inspiration for where to take a story or what details to give. Music has carried me through both hard times and good times, and considering all this I felt it would be appropriate to blog about the topic.

What really started me thinking about the subject of music was listening to an Elton John cd that I had listened to fairly often this past summer. I had discovered it in one of my parents' cars and started listening to it because it reminded me somewhat of my childhood. The meaning I placed on these songs would change fairly abruptly, though, as I listened to it last summer. It was a time of struggle and difficulties, working through many of the trials that came from trying to readjust to home life after the mission. This transition transcended everything in my life, from my relationship with my (then) girlfriend (now fiancee) Julie; to my family relationships; to my role in Church and in the lives of my friends; and even to my books. Listening to the songs I listened to last summer, I can't help but relive some of those feelings and events, remember the difficulties I had to go through to get to where I am now, happily engaged to the most wonderful girl in the world.

Well, to avoid distraction, I guess I'll end here for now, leaving this time with a question for you, the reader: How has music affected your life lately? Have you had any significant feelings/events that have become intrinsically tied to some song, cd, or artist?

No comments:

Post a Comment