Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Looking Forward to a Double Major (and Other Random Happenings)

Hey all! First off, sorry for the hiatus--midterms last week were pretty crazy, and when you add General Conference last weekend (okay, so I did get a little distracted beating Super Metroid for the first time, too...) I was really short on time for sitting down and writing a full blog entry. I'm back though now, and hopefully I won't be that busy (/distracted) again for a while.

So, aside from the distractions, things have been going fantastic since my last entry. To enumerate just a little bit on what's happened since last time briefly, my past week or so has included my 3rd anniversary since I started dating Julie, General Conference, and now figuring out a plan for the rest of my college career! I'll try to go through each one chronologically here.

So first off: anniversary. Julie and I had a wonderful time, spending most of the day together and sharing gifts. We had lots of fun having dinner together at Cafe Rio here in Provo, and of course we kept each other entertained. It really wasn't too much special, but the day was amazing all the same.

General Conference was also good--very uplifting as always. As usual, it was very nice to hear the Prophet speak to us, and the Spirit was strong as always. As I watched this weekend I got the impression that there was an increased emphasis on becoming better people all around, and it helped me to reflect on some of my own shortcomings and on things I could do to be a better person. It was also nice to hear some things that I felt good about, and really the Conference reminds me of a Book of Mormon scripture stating that the things of the Lord are hard for the wicked to bear, but are a delight for the righteous. I really feel I felt some of both--a bit of praised, mixed in with things to improve. Overall: brilliant.

And now last of all, I've finally come up with a plan for my undergraduate education. Most exciting of all of this was the discovery I made this morning that by adding a mathematics major (something I've thought of since coming to the Y) I would only be in school for a semester longer than if I just took a physics major. This is especially encouraging, since the paper I need to fill out to apply for a second major makes it sound a lot more plausible to get a double major if it only adds an extra semester. Considering that I'm looking to get a Ph.D. in Particle Physics, I figure the extra semester would prove very helpful, and just taking an extra semester to be able to say that I essentially got two B.S.'s couldn't hurt, right?

So there you have it. Until next time!

~The L.o.t.S. Writer

P.S. - Enjoy the Halloween colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment